To keep your new jewelry piece in pristine condition and to help it require minimum servicing, follow the guidelines below and watch your pieces last for a life time.
- Don’t wear your jewelry when using domestic cleaning compounds, cooking or showering.
- Don’t wear your jewelry when swimming as chlorine in swimming pools may be harmful to both the metal and the stones.
- Don’t wear jewelry in bed as chains and especially neck wires can become tangled easily, also since your body naturally swells up during sleep, wearing jewelry can be harmful to you and your jewelry.
- Always store your new jewelry piece in the packaging it came in as oppose to keeping all your pieces in a common jewelry box. This minimizes their contact with each other extending their finish and luster.
- If you decide to store all your pieces in one box, make sure each piece has some space around it and no two pieces are in contact. Pro tip: keep each piece in an individual cotton bag along with the anti-tarnish slips that are supplied by MASYMETRIC with your polished pieces
- Jewelry should be the last thing you put on and the first thing you take off. This will protect your jewelry from snagging on your clothes and will help protect it from contact with make up, hair spray, deodorant, perfume, creams, or anything that may tarnish it.
Finish Specific Recommendations
Every finish requires its own way of protection based on its nature. Here is a list of the finishes we provide and the best way to maintain and protect them.
1. Polished silver
Polished silver jewelry will eventually build a layer of tarnish because it reacts with many elements in its atmosphere. But you can slow this process down by cleaning your silver jewelry after wearing it to remove fingerprints, skin oils, and surface dirt. Use water and some liquid soap to wash your jewelry items gently with your fingers. If you want to be thorough use a soft toothbrush to get into hard to reach areas then dry the piece softly with a soft cloth or tissue paper.
In order to further help you protect your polished silver jewelry from tarnish we include an Anti Tarnish Tab with every polished silver piece. This Anti Tarnish Tab will provide protection against tarnish for up to 12 months* without emitting damaging gases or leaving deposits on jewelry items. It is non-toxic and non-abrasive. For best results keep your jewelry in its original packaging or a soft cotton bag, and make sure the tab is in the box/ bag with it. The Tab will begin to change color when it’s time to replace it. To replace your tab, simply let us know and we will send you a new one free of charge.**
Never use any silver cleaning dips, tarnish remover or any other silver cleaning products to clean your polished silver jewelry as these products may harm your skin when you wear them or harm your silver jewelry’s finish. Silver cleaning products may also cause you silver piece to re-tarnish quickly because they may leave chemical deposits which react with the atmosphere ironically speeding up the next tarnish cycle.
* The time of protection may differ depending on your location’s climate conditions and level of humidity
** Delivery charges for locations outside the UAE are required.
2. Oxidized (Blackened) Silver
The striking black patina you see on our oxidized pieces is composed of a fine layer of deposits created by a chemical reaction between silver and oxygen. You can see a representation on the layers that make up our silver pieces below.
Also we apply a durable protective layer that seals the piece, it’s important that an oxidized piece never be scratched as the scratch will remove the even layer of oxidation and will deform the finish. But if this happens, please bring or send your piece over to us for repair and we will gladly reapply the oxidized finish for you.
Don’t be rough with your piece. Always make sure you follow our recommended care instructions to keep it in its pristine condition as long as possible.
Try not to layer oxidized pieces with other jewelry items, as their extended contact with each other while you’re wearing them may wear down the patina over time.